Natasha,
         A couple of years ago, I co-guest-edited an issue of
Configurations -- on Scientific Ethos: Authorship, Authority, and Trust in
the Sciences. It included a wonderful article by Alex Cziszar, called,
"Stylizing Rigor: or Why Mathematicians Write So Well.
It's Vol 11, No 2 (Spring 2003): 239-268.
         Judy