The ultimate goal is to discover the cause or causes of PD, and then to cure it. As we learn more about the genetics of the disease, gene therapy or stem cells may prove to be the route to a cure. But in the meantime we also need better treatments that will improve the quality of people's lives. GDNF could very well be one of those treatments that could be available for clinical use in the near term - if Amgen will allow clinical trials to be restarted. The phase I participants showed "remarkable " improvements over the course of 2-3 years, with no adverse side effects.
Linda

-- Amanda Phillips <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
It is good news - but (as I've asked before) won't any corrective factor
introducedd into a PD person's brain tend to die of whatever killed the original
dopamine-producing cells ?
Don't we need to arrest the killer first ?