Welcome to the list, Sam.  You must have a tough inner core to remain
dedicated to going without medication.  I have recently given up on my
attempts to function without carbidopa/levidopa.  It was too much for
me to handle, a very busy and disjunct schedule, extra personal and
family issues, etc.  Besides dealing with depression, which as you may
know, is said to be both a symptom and a result of PD, the tightness,
cramping, tremor, fatigue, loss of sleep, etc, it all got to me,
finally, and I restarted Sinemet therapy about a month ago.

I do use several therapies which seem to help me: therapeutic massage,
chiropractic (since pre-PD days), exercise, yoga (started recently),
and I'm continually stretching.

I was diagnosed in 2001, at age 48 or so, and now, at age 52, I've
seen a very slow progression of PD.  Like you, most of my symptoms are
on one side, my right (dominant) side.  I have resolved to work very
hard to overcome my depression, and to concentrate on health, and
'streamlining' my activities this year.  And like you, I am involved
in 'creative' pursuits; I am a piano player from Buffalo, NY, a bit
more than a stone's throw from South Africa, a country that has
fascinated the world over these last decades.  I'm also very
interested in writing, because I seem to have some ability at it, even
tho I've had no training.  Maybe you could share some bits of wisdom
in how to approach the field and to focus my raw talents usefully.
Feel free to write to me off list with non-PD discussions.

You will find a wealth of info, advice and support here.  Any problem
you're facing, you'll be able to find someone here who has knowledge
of what you're going through.  Good luck and best wishes in 2006.

Enjoy winter! (oh, is it summer there?  Yeah, you live far away!)
Rick McGirr
Email: [log in to unmask]