Thanks, Rick, for your kind words.

David's reaction to leva/carbadopa has been fairly predictable.  He used to get maximum benefits with minimum side effects.  Now, the opposite is true.  At this juncture, he takes one Stalevo and 1/2 of a .75 mg. Permax every 2 1/2 hours (We use a pill cutter to break the pills in half.), for a maximum of six Stalevos/day and  four 1/2 Permax/day.  It often seems that Permax is the most important drug in terms of his mental functioning.  When he takes his medicine carefully---and we often have many misses, even with the timer---he usually can have a decent day.  However, by 4:00 p.m., he's pretty tired, and the "sundown effect" can take hold of him, regardless of how well he's taken all his doses.

I know that this doesn't exactly answer your question, but it's difficult to say when he's "on" and how long he stays that way.  Without his meds, he can't think, can't walk, and the day is lost.  With his meds, he can have good days and bad ones...but his symptoms don't appear to fluctuate from hour to hour.  BTW, he's actually been on sinemet, or a variation of it, for 36 years, so it's not too difficult to see that he'd not get the best benefits of the meds.

David is very reactive to medication, and hasn't always been able to take new ones that have appeared.  E.g., he was on Eldepryl (spelling?), but didn't do well on it.

Important info: I just spoke to David's nurse who ran a blind study for rasageline (Again, spelling?).  David participated in this study.  He received a placebo, and was later allowed to receive the actual meds in another study....  However, he couldn't fulfill the requirements of the 2nd study.  So...I asked his nurse if he could possibly qualify for the use of rasageline even tho' it hasn't been approved by the FDA.  The answer is "probably not"...but...here's the important part---she said that rasageline has several nasty side-effects, including orthostatic hypertension.  She also said that it's being touted as almost a cure-all, but it's far from that.  Just a word to the wise, because she's in a direct position to know.   Too bad, because I had some high hopes, here.

Bev