Dear Rick,

In regard to your post re: "Chemicals, how does our percentage compares  with
the public at large?"  My response is...That question could be  answered with
a national data base for Parkinson's disease.  In fact,  a national data base
could serve to track and profile numerous   neurological conditions that
affect our populace.

In my investigations, I have come across two agencies that our government
funds on a national scale.  One is the "National Environmental Public  Health
Tracking Program."  It is being developed by the CDC. Information  about this
program can be found on the CDC web site at _http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/tracking/_
(http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/tracking/) .   There is a document that the CDC has
prepared that describes a strategy for  how this national tracking system would
be used to identify environmental  associations with disease.  CDC
strategy.pdf.

The second is the "Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry,
(ATSDR)"  It is a federal agency created in 1980 by the Comprehensive  Environmental
Response, Compensation and Liability Act or what is more commonly  known as
Superfund legislation.  This agency is charged with assessing the  presence and
nature of health hazards at environmental Superfund sites, helping  to prevent
or reduce further exposure and any illness that might result, and  expanding
what is known about the health effects of exposure to CERCLA hazardous
substances.

In reviewing these agencies, my feeling is that neither of the two would be
as effective as a simple registry of Parkinson's patients through their
physician's referral of a patient fact- sheet to a central national  data record
center.  This information could be used in  conjunction with the information
that these agencies currently  gather as a comprehensive picture of the
geographical, age prevalence,  toxin exposure, environmental and genetic backgrounds of
Parkinson's  patients.

 Implementation of this plan will require extensive public and  political
support.  With the beginning of this new year and the focus  of our government on
reduced funding for so many domestic  programs, I am prone to believe that
efforts to accomplish very much at all in  the way of health care reform or
additional funding for programs such as  this will be a challenge.

We have many unanswered questions about PD and toxic exposure. Getting  the
answers to those questions will depend upon the efforts we choose  to make.

Dee