      Don't let Ohio Legislature cripple stem-cell research
      2006-01-03

      We write in strong opposition to Ohio House Bill 355, sponsored by Rep. Gilb, R-Findlay. This bill eliminates all stem-cell research financed by the state of Ohio.

      If this bill passes, research in the state of Ohio for diseases such as Alzheimer's, ALS, cancer, diabetes, heart disease, Parkinson's, spinal-cord injuries and other diseases would be severely compromised, eliminating crucial research at facilities such as the Cleveland Clinic, the James Cancer Hospital and Case Western Reserve.

      Stem cells are nature's blank slate and are capable of developing into any of nearly 220 cell types that make up the human body. A vocal minority has argued that adult stem cells will be sufficient to pursue treatments or cures for diseases. This is simply not true.

      Given the great hope that stem-cell research provides to those who are suffering, we urge you to not let this bill pass. Please call or fax your state senator and representative immediately to voice your opposition to House Bill 355. Search www.ohio.gov for the names of your representatives.

      On behalf of the Ohio Citizens for Stem Cell Research

      Kay Wilhelm

      Dublin, Ohio