  hi all,

  in what i am about to say, i am speaking in general terms - i do not mean to minimize anyone's experience of the side effect of obsessive behavior.

  In the study that came out in 2003, 1.5% of the people who were put on mirapex developed serious gambling addictions - that is "only slightly higher than the reported rate in the general population, which ranges from 0.3 to 1.3%." does anyone know if that is even statistically significant?(http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/health/HealthRepublish_922460.htm)

  by contrast, 100% of early onset folks put on l-dopa will develop both dyskinesias and on/off fluctuations within 6 years (see Quinn, Young Onset Parkinson's Disease, 1987, Movement Disorders, Vol. 2, no.2, p. 73-91) and 75% of people put on l-dopa "will no longer have a smooth, stable and effective response" after five years of treatment - in other words, 75% overall will develop dyskinesias and on/off fluctuations within five years (see Fahn, Parkinson Disease, The Effect of Levodopa and the ELLDOPA trial, Archives of Neurology, 1999)

  i am curious - i do not experience on/off fluctuations or dyskinesias, having never taken l-dopa, because looking in from the outside, it looks like somewhere i would do everything i could to avoid going. and yet, people rarely talk about them (and they certainly don't get the press 1.5% gambling does, but of course that could be because these other statistics have been well known in the research community for at least 20 years) - are they just not as bad as i think they are? or are folks resigned to experiencing them because l-dopa is the only thing that works (or worked) for them? or do folks not know that the risk is so high until it is upon them?

  if anyone has any thoughts on the subject, i would love to hear them. i simply cannot understand how a drug that has such a gargantuan chance of leaving people with disabling side effects has been "the gold standard"' for about 40 years.

  mackenzie

Beverly Forte <[log in to unmask]> wrote:  I too stopped Mirapex because of some compulsive behaviors and my
neurologist refuses to give me Requip. I had dbs brain surgery in Dec 2005.
After stopping the mirapex i went into a deep depression which does not seem
responsive to antidepressents. My energy is also extremely low. Obsessive
behaviors now? Nope.. I am lucky to get out of bed every day. Has anyone had
this experience and any suggestions? I have a doctor's app Jan 16th and hope
to have my own suggestions.

Thanks...for sharing.

Bev in Tex