Sometimes we think we don't have the strength to accomplish those tasks we so much want to complete.  Sometimes we don't realize our own inner power.

Take determination, a loved one's dream and the grit to pursue without thought of self aggrandizement, and the reality is a safe haven for abused and neglected seniors.

I offer, FYI, the following from one of our own.

Congratulations, Maxine!

Sent: Friday, January 13, 2006 8:59 AM
Subject: fyi

                                    News Release

For Immediate Release                                                                                     Contact:  Christie Holderegger January 12, 2006                                                                                                                            Cell (916) 213-4133                                                                                                                                              Office (916) 442-3691

MEDIA ADVISORY

.

Safe Haven for Abused and Neglected Seniors

Breaks Ground

Sacramento, CA, A ground breaking ceremony symbolizing the start of construction of Sacramento’s first

Senior Safe House will be held on January 18, 2006 at 2 p.m. in the Arden Arcade area.  The site is located at

3420 East Country Club Lane in Sacramento.

“This year, Sacramento County will become home to the Sacramento Senior Safe House, the first-ever shelter of its kind on the west coast specifically designed to temporarily house abused and neglected older adults,”  states Maxine Milner Krugman, President/CEO, Sacramento Senior Safe House Board.  The 4,500 square foot facility will have six bedrooms, a kitchen, living and dining areas, office space, and a peaceful backyard.  Round-the-clock staffing will provide emotional support, nutritious meals, housekeeping and laundry service, liaison to basic forms of medical care, and case management so that our guests can return home or be placed in a safe and sustainable environment.

With the dedication, hard work and collaboration of the Sacramento Senior Safe House Board, Mercy Housing California,  HomeAid, University of California Medical Center and Volunteers of America older adults will have a safe place to call home during traumatic experiences involving abuse, neglect and abandonment.  Volunteers of America will operate the program once construction is complete.  “This program will fill an important gap in caring for vulnerable seniors who have no one else to care for them.  Currently, abused seniors are being placed in motels or shelters,” reports Leo McFarland, President and CEO, Volunteers of America.

The Safe House will operate solely on financial contributions from the community.  To support the Senior Safe House, contributions can be sent to Volunteers of America, Senior Safe House, 1900 Point West Way, Suite 270, Sacramento, CA  95815.