Dee,

Sorry for the delayed response.  I've been in St. Pete (FL) visiting
the in-laws.

I'm prone to not have much faith in any institution these days, after
the national gov't went haywire, the state, county, and town where I
live have massive $$ problems and stupidness problems, Amgen, even
Hwang and his dog let me (us) down.

I'd say the main problems with the database idea are money, how to
fund such a database, and Qualters does have a point about skittish
doctors (malpractice insurance) and verification of 'stories' for
scientific purposes.

I read in the St. Petersburg (FL) Times about a project where this
team from NPR is going around the country in an Airstream trailer,
recording people close to each other in an interview set-up, i. e.,
the wife would interview the husband, you know, some pair that was
close to each other, so that they could impart their special story.
The 'studio' in the trailer has a highly private, 'confessional' sort
of atmosphere.  I'd love to do that.  I think this kind of plain talk
between two people close to each other, about not only events but
interperetations of those events, is one of the best ways to catch a
whiff of what really went on in the past.

Sort of like what we have going on here.  But what we have here is
lots of people going thru similar events, with each person's
interperetations lending balance to conclusions drawn from the whole.
I don't know what scientific value this would have, if any.  What
scientific value is there in the tales of a tribal shaman, or the
memoirs of a general, or the memories of a grandmother?  These
stories, I think, aid in the general survival and welfare of the
tribe.  How can this be quantified or studied?  Maybe from an
anthropologist's or historian's point of view.  I think there's at
least one such person among us on the list...

I wonder how much data could be compiled from the archives of this
list.  Plowing through mountains of old emails could be informative,
as well as tedious.  But you could probably compile quite a list of,
for example, people who have had good and bad results from the
different medications prescribed to PWP.  I've never explored the
archives.  How is it managed?  Are all historical messages saved?
Edited?  Perhaps the mgrs will enlighten us.

Dee, you are a real asset to this list.  Thanks for your contribution,
and your caring, yet level-headed approach.

Enjoy winter!
Rick McGirr
Email: [log in to unmask]