-----Original Message-----
From: Parkinson's Information Exchange Network
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of marco de michiel
Sent: 19 January 2006 02:06
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: mirapex and requip / Another Point of View

Carole,

With respect, I have to disagree with you.

Yes, we (PWP's) have to take some form of medication to manage the symptoms,
but we should not allow ourselves to be used by the Pharmaceutical Co.'s
like specimens in a living laboratory; and continue accepting  that there
are serious side-effects leading to complications and subsequent death.
Parkinson's in its self does not cause death. As long as we remain silent
the Pharma co.'s will continue to go unchecked, making obscene profits, and
convincing the medical world that fatalities, from side-effects, are an
acceptable percentage; like a form of collateral damage.

Like someone else mentioned, there's no drug on the market which cure's; in
nearly all cases they are designed to control/suppress the symptoms; and
virtually all have side-effects. The Pharma Co.'s are not interested in
Cures because there's no long term revenue stream. Yet they spend billions
in research, supposedly on finding cures but only ever launch more drug's
that manage/control and sell at ridiculous prices, which they justify
because of the high R&D cost. A disgusting example of the consequence of
this, is the denial of a drug for MS, for my neighbour, because his
age/profile fails the benefit/cost criteria, as set by the NHS, BECAUSE OF
THE HIGH COST OF THE DRUG. Personally, I think he's better off without the
drug.

I have taken Permax/Pergolide for almost 6yrs; side-effects - vasculor
damage.

Mirapex - side effects as noted.

Sinemet -  increased dosage leads to accelerated depletion of natural
dopamine and subsequent loss of effectiveness.

We live in an age of technology; we have the power of the internet to access
data, share findings and prepare/collate results. PD may affect our ability
to walk but it hasn't taken away our capacity to think and argue our case.
As long as we have our minds, we can [should] constructively challenge the
status-quo; and force changes in diagnosis and alternative therapies. We owe
it to ourselves and to future generations, to do so, tto contain and sink
this Neurological 'iceberg'.

Marco [UK]