Because it works. For me. PD is a designer disease, and
what works for one of us may not for another. I write now
that I can no longer practice as a psychiatric nurse, and I
need to be mentally alert, creative, etc.
The Sinemet does that for me. I remember the first time I
took it. I could almost hear those dormant brain synapses
buzzing. I also take Mirapex as an adjunct med, and while
it helps, it leaves me foggy and forgetful. I am now
beginning to have some dyskenesia, which is a b---h, but I
am dealing with it because the drug enables me to write,
and walk.
A last thought-L-dopa has been around a very long time. We
know its side-effects, etc. As a nurse I saw many new meds
marketed as having no s/e's. Prozac is a good example. Then
a few years down the pike they are blaming it for
everything from suicides on down.
We have also seen good old reliable drugs turn out to be
toxic, i.e., Tylenol and liver damage. So, I think its
pretty much like life. You pick your poison, and you take
your chances...
Peace,
Carole Hercun

significant?(http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/health/HealthRepublish_922460.htm)