>   In the study that came out in 2003, 1.5% of the people who were put on
> mirapex developed serious gambling addictions - that is "only slightly
> higher than the reported rate in the general population, which ranges from
> 0.3 to 1.3%." does anyone know if that is even statistically
> significant?(http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/health/HealthRepublish_9224
>60.htm)

Significant or not, knowing that additive comportments can be due to an
agonist is very useful. Particularly if these pathological behaviours are
dose related and reversible. Some PWPs have committed suicide because of them
and knowing the cause could have been an agonist could have spared lives and
families from falling apart.

>   by contrast, 100% of early onset folks put on l-dopa will develop both
> dyskinesias and on/off fluctuations within 6 years (see Quinn, Young Onset
> Parkinson's Disease, 1987, Movement Disorders, Vol. 2, no.2, p. 73-91) and
> 75% of people put on l-dopa "will no longer have a smooth, stable and
> effective response" after five years of treatment - in other words, 75%
> overall will develop dyskinesias and on/off fluctuations within five years

Sooner or later you have to choose some meds. John went for 10 years without
them then started on Requip only, added sinemet  later and now has dropped
Requip. His attention is much better since he stopped the Requip. After
6-years of treatment , he started having on/off fluctuations and now ( 7th
year) has some dyskinesias.

>   if anyone has any thoughts on the subject, i would love to hear them. i
> simply cannot understand how a drug that has such a gargantuan chance of
> leaving people with disabling side effects has been "the gold standard"'
> for about 40 years.

PD before ldopa was much worse. We all hope some new approach will come soon
but meanwhile....you have to try to find what´s best for you

Maryse cg JOhn 76,16