Annie Laurie Gaylor: Alito would tip scale against conscience
A letter to the editor
Dear Editor: Are you aware that if nominee Samuel Alito is named to the U.S. Supreme Court to replace swing-voter Sandra Day O'Connor, there will be five members a majority who are right-wing Roman Catholics?
A religious litmus test is being imposed in the selection of Supreme Court candidates. They must be approved by the religious right, as the Harriet Miers debacle proves.

The next Supreme Court will be ruling on vital issues of separation of church and state, including the right to choose, the right to die with dignity, the right to pursue stem-cell research, the right of gays to embark on civil unions and marriage. Legal challenges of raids on the public treasury by religion and by religiously segregated schools could be hijacked by a court packed by the religious "wrong."

The escalating religious domination of our secular government is unprecedented. Thomas Jefferson's wall of separation has never been in greater danger of tumbling down.

Americans must protect the independence of our federal judiciary, and ensure that the scales of justice are not tipped against freedom of conscience.

Annie Laurie Gaylor
co-president
Freedom From Religion Foundation Madison

Published: January 14, 2006