This webpage tells how to configure most email programs to send plain text.

Why is this important?

Some trojans execute automatically when displayed in the preview pane of
your email program. Outlook Express was one of the first email programs
exploited this way. Even though the listserv puts each posting through an
anti-virus program your other email might not be so protected.

Parkinsn has always been an international list. Email text based takes very
little bandwidth to send and receive. Email programs when selected to
produce html messages produce two separate messages, one in plain text and
another that is 50% larger so that recipients regardless of their preferred
method of receiving email can read it. Html messages can be 200% larger in
filesize.

Some of our subscribers are charged by their ISPs for the downloads they
receive a month. Each webpage and each email is part of the downloading
process. Html is not an efficient use of resources for our international
subscribers. Html email takes longer to download on an impaired 56k modem
connection.

Most of the html messages we see here on Parkinsn are unintended. Posters
are not aware that their email program or what they cut and paste into
their email program has a link to a graphic or picture.

A simple way to reduce the unintended copy and pasted postings with
graphics or pictures is to copy the item and paste it into a text editor
like notepad for windows users. If you are copying a news article look at
the top for the printer friendly version which usually without the
graphics. Copy the text portion of that page and paste it into a new text
document. If there is a picture or advertisement, look at the text below
the picture and find it in the text editor and remove that section with its
html code. Now you are ready to copy and paste from the notepad text file
into the body of the message to Parkinsn. It is a good idea to give credit
to the site you found the article on and the URL to the document so that
others can verify what the article says.

Another thing, if a URL is given in the article that just starts with www.
add http:// in front of it so that email programs will pick it up as a URL
which will allow readers to click on the URL and be taken to that page.
Just using www. is sufficient in webpages but not in email programs so that
is why to add the http:// to the www. in addresses.

Please don't be afraid to click on links that have tinyurl in them, they
are just shorthand for a long url that would wrap in email and not work.

John to my friends and JC to those who would disagree...lol
Keep up the good work!