-----Original Message-----
From: Parkinson's Information Exchange Network
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of rickmcgirr
Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2006 8:10 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Acceptable Topics for the Parkinsn List

What kind of help do you want?  Here's a hypothetical example of what I
mean: if I do some lobbying, and I make headway for our cause with some
legislators who see the value of funding medical research, and other
legislators are reluctant to buck their conservative constituencies or are
too religiously conservative themselves to favor funding medical technology,
and the funding does not go through for yet another year, and I feel
frustrated in my attempts to communicate to these conservatives the
rectitude of doing everything we can to help those with chronic diseases,
and I am a PWP...

Now, I happen to be in this very position, along with others here.  Are we
not to discuss our efforts here because we might pluck someone's strings?
Are we not helping others, or at least trying to?  In the example above, are
we not to express to this group, a support group, our frustration with those
who are standing in the way of research vital to defeating PD, etc.?  By the
way, in the example above, each and every one of the recalcitrant lawmakers
is a so-called conservative.  And coincidentally, that's the way they lined
up in last year's voting.

But then, if I start discussing our frustration with these hypothetical
conservatives, someone might chime in with a comment about the moral
rectitude of ESCR, and, for purposes of example, claim that every liberal
who supports such research is pro-abortion, or a murderer, well, these are
beliefs actually held deeply by different members here.  And they go against
the grain of others here who hold other truths to be self-evident.  Are we
not to try to drum up support from members here for funding legislation?
Are we not to talk about the grounds for limits being placed on nuclear
transfer and cloning?  These grounds are moral and therefore individual in
nature.  Deeply held views are the hardest and most emotional to express.

And so a simple report of the results of a lobbying campaign have spilled
over into a discussion of everything behind the scenes.  All of it pertains
to PD, and all of the attitudes and comments coming out of the above
hypothetical scenario are valid ones held by PWP.  Do you want to hear none
of it?

If you can tell me where the line is, I will try not to cross it.

I've posted plenty of welcoming and helpful messages, and sympathetic and
supportive and informative toward individuals here.  Do you all want me to
just sit with you and hold your hand and say, "Oh dear, oh dear, when is
that darned bus going to get here?"  If you expect to just wait quietly for
the drug companies and the legislatures to solve our problem, well, I wish
you luck.  They will...when it is the most profitable moment possible for
them, and barring our noise, not a moment sooner.

Blessed are the noise-makers, for they are the life of the party.

Doesn't it say that somewhere?

Where is that darned bus?

Enjoy!
Rick McGirr