HTML is a code that formats web pages. Most popular e-mail programs have
the option to send and receive e-mail in html format - which allows you
to format your e-mail, change text size, use special fonts, etc. The
HTML option is usually on by default with most popular e-mail programs.

To turn off html in outgoing mail, you need to adjust the settings.
Unfortunately, this varies from program to program. For Outlook Express,
the most popular e-mail programme, you must...

1. Start the mail program.
2. Pull down the Tools menu and select Options.
3. Click on the Send tab.
4. Under "Mail Sending Format", click on Plain Text.
5. To finish, click on the OK button.

For other programs, check the various options or click on help to
determine how to deactivate html on outgoing messages.

As an aside, no two e-mail programs display html in the same way. Some,
like Pegasus, tend to make a total hash out of html e-mails from
Outlook. Moreover, text only e-mails are more compact and less likely to
be mistaken for junk mail by spam filters. Hence if you don't need html
in your outgoing e-mail, I recommend you turn it off by default.

Jeffrey