We have to apply to have the Caucus put on the program. I did the
application for a few years with help from various CASLL members, then I
think Roger did it for a few years. Perhaps for the last few years we
haven't had anyone send in the application, which is why we're not on
the program.

(I remember one year filling out the online form at Inkshed with
Marcy's help-- I think it has to be in by the end of April, so that's no
longer an option.)

For several years, we just sent in a general form declaring our desire
to meet and talk about the state of comp in Canada. Then later in the
year, we did a less formal call for papers on this list. Sometimes
people can only get travel money if they're presenting, and this was one
way to make that happen more easily than going through the C's vetting
process.

Of course, there were a few years when we simply met for a few minutes,
talked about what was going on at our respective institutions, and then
went out for dinner and more conversation. It's always best to book a
few tables somewhere or we risk getting turned away. Several years ago
when we were in Chicago, we took the El to Wrigglyville and had a
wonderful Itallian meal. Does anyone remember the name of that place? It
was fun to get out of the centre of town for an evening.

Perhaps if you do meet informally, you can agree to designate someone
to send in the form. It isn't a lot of work; it can all be done online
in a few minutes.

Unfortunately, I can't get away this year, so I won't be seeing anyone.
I'll see some of you here at Inkshed, I hope!

Janice

>>> [log in to unmask] 02/18/06 3:16 PM >>>
I'll be at the C's too, but as far as I've been able to learn there
isn't a Canadian Caucus on the program.  There wasn't one last year in

San Francisco, either: it seems to have been allowed to lapse, or
perhaps it reached some limit in terms of the number of years a caucus

can continue under the Conference rules.

Some questions, then, dear colleagues: shall we investigate reviving
the Can-Con Caucus for future C's?  And if we want to have a
get-together in Chicago, where and when shall we meet?  The lobby of
the Palmer House at 7 PM on some agreed-on evening will do, I should
think....

Brock

W. Brock MacDonald
Director, Academic Writing Centre
Woodsworth College, University of Toronto
119 St. George Street
Toronto, ON   M5S-1A9
Phone: (416) 978-0246
Fax: (416) 978-6111