I hope I can clarify a few things with regard to writing at UWO. There is a
distinction between UWO’s Writing Department in the Faculty of Arts and the
Effective Writing Program in the Student Development Centre. In 1996,
Michael Sider established The SDC’s Effective Writing Program, which houses
The Writing Centre. Its mandate is to provide a service to Western students,
faculty, and staff in the area of writing. In contrast, the Writing
Department (which will soon be renamed Writing and Technical & Professional
Communication) is responsible for all aspects of credit courses in writing
as dictated by UWO’s central administration.

Jana Weerasinghe has coordinated The SDC’s Effective Writing Program since
2002. For more information please see the website www.sdc.uwo.ca/writing/.

Erika