Dear Inkshedders:

I just wanted to introduce myself to the listserve.  My name is Susan MacRae, and I'm the Writing Centre Coordinator for the newly established (2005) University of British Columbia Okanagan Learning Centre.

I recently read your discussion on the listserve regarding the history of Writing Centres in Canada.  The Learning Centre is newly established on our new campus at UBC-Okanagan, so we are in the process of developing a Writing component. If anyone has any suggestions on starting up a Writing Centre, and how to write the best proposal to administration, I would greatly appreciate the input.

Prior to the establishment of the University of British Columbia-Okanagan, the North Kelowna campus was one of several campuses of the Okanagan University College. In 2004, the North Kelowna campus saw the establishment of a Writing Centre with a paid coordinator and paid writing tutors.  Prior to 2004, students operated a Writing Centre on a voluntary basis. Today, Writing Centres continue to exist at the new Okanagan College campuses in Penticton, Vernon, South Kelowna, and Salmon Arm. Each campus might have a different history as far as the establishment of a Writing Centre, however.  I do know that since at least 2000, Cindy Holmes has operated a Writing Centre on the Kalamalka (or Vernon) campus of Okanagan College.

UBC-Okanagan is interested in developing a plan that is going to provide the best possible support for our students.  Your wisdom and guidance in creating a viable Writing Centre would be very helpful for our future growth as an institution.

Best,
Susan MacRae