We still have a limited number of slots available on the program so we are extending the deadline date until February 13, 2006.

EXTENDED DEADLINE DATE: February 13, 2006.

We have appended the call for proposals. If you would like to propose a presentation, we must have your proposal by that date.

Thanks to all of you who have already sent us your proposals. We will have decisions shortly after the new extended deadline date.

cheers

stan

stan straw, ph.d.
professor of language & literacy
faculty of education
university of manitoba
phone:  204-474-9074
FAX:  204-474-7550

Call for Proposals
Inkshed Working Conference XXIII
May 4 - 7, 2006
Winnipeg, Manitoba

CONTEXT IS EVERYTHING: EVERYTHING IS CONTEXT

As we experience writing and writing instruction in our lives and in our
pedagogies, we are continually bumping up against context. When, where, why, and
under what conditions writing and writing instruction take place have profound
impacts on the products and processes of writing and teaching. The contexts of
writing and teaching imply particular kinds of decisions writers must make when
crafting texts. Contextual conditions also have impacts on how we teach and on
how our students write and learn about writing. Though less obvious but equally
important, contexts shape the ways in which students read and learn to read. It
could be argued that contexts are the most important elements in decisions
readers and writers make when engaging with texts and that every engagement in
itself transforms those contexts. Therefore, context is everything and
everything is context.

The intent of this conference is to explore the influences of context on
reading, writing, and learning literacies. We wish to explore not only the ways
in which context constrains learning to read and write but also the ways in
which it enables these processes.

Format. The Inkshed Conference format-which includes inkshedding, discussion,
and no concurrent sessions-encourages a continuing conversation among all
participants. As anyone who has attended Inkshed before will know, the
conversations begun here often continue on the list and in the newsletter. For
more information on CASLL, Inkshed, and inkshedding, please visit our website at
http://www.stthomasu.ca/inkshed/.

As usual, we want to avoid the "talking heads-reading papers" model by
encouraging participatory and unconventional approaches. We welcome a variety of
modes of presentation: performances, case-studies, collaborative presentations,
student involvement, workshops, research works-in-progress, or interactive
demonstrations. We would also be willing to help with arranging an innovative
presentation format to create variety.

We invite interested members of the Inkshed community to submit proposals on
this topic. Sessions will be limited to half-hour presentations. In the interest
of supporting graduate student participation, we will distribute graduate
student works-in-progress sessions throughout the conference timetable.

Tentatively we are planning on each session being limited to 30 minutes,
followed by inkshedding. Depending on the specific proposals we receive,
timetable adjustments may be necessary.

All Proposals Should Include:

1. Contact person's name, e-mail, snail-mail address, and phone number(s),

2. Names of all presenters as you wish to have them appear in the program,

3. Title,

4. Brief abstract (approx. 400 words),

5. Brief description of the mode of presentation.

Deadline for Proposals: January 30, 2006
Decisions will be made and presenters contacted by February 28th.

Send All Proposals by E-mail Only (Word or WordPerfect) to:

Members of the conference team:
Laura Atkinson
Diane Driedger
Pat Sadowy