In the latest issue of the Inkshed newsletter, Kathryn Alexander notes how she and others at the SFU Centre for Writing-Intensive Learning  have  worked against the  label "writing-ladies": "As mentioned earlier, another strategic approach is to align our work with newer and more academically prestigious frameworks that link teaching, writing-intensive learning, or the study of writing in the disciplines more closely to scholarship on or in the disciplines. For instance, our unit was recently publicly acknowledged at an international conference as providing cutting-edge models for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning. Finally, at an individual level, in order to raise our individual and collective profiles as scholars within our institution, we have decided to list our scholarly publications and disciplinary credentials on our Centre’s web-pages. This need for active re-writing of our positioning suggests that the struggle over the meaning and value of teaching, researching and implementing writing in the academy is problematic, leaving much room for exploration and redefinition."
I'd like to know if others have engaged in similar or other tactics to define their work as writing instructors on their own terms, and what those terms might be.
Roger Graves

Dr.  Roger Graves
Director of Writing and Technical & Professional Communication
University of Western Ontario
London, ON N6A 3K7
519.661.2111x85785