We are not only invisible to our government, but to our fellow citizens.

Although millions are afflicted by incurable diseases and conditions, millions are not, and for most people it has to happen to them to pay attention.  They quite naturally don't think it will happen to them and are busy living their lives.  Things would be different if EVERYONE got PD or Huntington's disease.

Ask yourself, how interested were you before PD?  When I was young I volunteered in a spinal cord injury ward, but didn't last long because it was so depressing and hopeless.

Advocacy is left mainly to patients and/or their CGs.  It is very difficult to fight a disease and politicians and their supporters who oppose research.  When people were protesting IVF, blood transfusions, organ transplants, etc. the government was not opposing it, as I recall.

I have pretty much accepted the fact that there will be no progress in my lifetime.  Being a teacher and student of history has taught me that life is terribly unfair.  My  philosophy (my minor) is simple:  we should do all we can to change that injustice.

Before the lights go out,

Ray