Dear List friends,

Scott responded to an email I posted somewhere (one Diane gave me) and he  and I argued for awhile and he agreed to share his position re hESCR with us, Ray

"Scott Klusendorf thinks the embryos in question are human beings and he defends his views scientifically and philosophically.  Scientifically, pro-lifers like Scott contend that from the earliest stages of development, the unborn are distinct, living, and whole human beings. True, they have yet to grow and mature, but they are whole human beings nonetheless. Leading embryology textbooks affirm this. (See here and here and here.) Philosophically, Scott argues that there is no morally significant difference between the embryo you once were and the adult you are today. Differences of size, development, and location are not relevant in the way that abortion advocates need them to be. For example, everyone agrees that embryos are small-perhaps smaller than the dot at the end of this sentence. But since when do rights depend on how large we are? Men are generally larger than women, but that hardly means they deserve more rights. Size does not equal value. Pro-lifers don't need Scripture to tell them these things. They are truths even atheists and secular libertarians can, and sometimes do, recognize. Yet nowhere in the literature defending ESCR has Scott seen a principled argument
explaining why pro-life advocates are mistaken on these points."