Tuesday, November 8, 2005 - SENATOR SAM BROWNBACK: THE CRUELEST MAN ALIVE?

Today, California goes to the polls to vote on Proposition 73, which
contains language which may threaten our California stem cell research
program.

While we wait for that result, let us take a look backwards and forwards at
the same time, to a previous battle, and one that lies ahead-both led by the
same man.

SENATOR SAM BROWNBACK: THE CRUELEST MAN ALIVE?

 Imagine you are a lifeguard, and you are standing on a dock above the
ocean.

A little child falls into the ocean, and begins to drown before your eyes.
But on the dock beside you is a rope! You reach and grab the coils, and
drawback to throw-and a voice hisses into your ear.

"If you try to rescue that child, using that particular method, you will be
sent to jail for ten years, and fined one million dollars."

Samuel Brownback, the Republican Senator from Kansas, would criminalize the
research which offers hope to my paralyzed son, my sister with cancer, and
literally hundreds of millions of suffering people around the world.

Remember the guy who led the charge against Sunday School teacher Harriet
Myers' bid for the Supreme Court, because she was not conservative enough?

That's Brownback.

He wants to be President in the worst way, and that is how he is going about
it.

Like 50's Senator Joe McCarthy, who built his whole career around a single
"C" word-Communism-- Brownback has built a political career around the word
cloning.

Now if he stuck to reproductive cloning (multiple copies of babies, which no
reputable scientist in the world supports) he would have the support of
everyone.

But he wants attention, and the way to do that is to be outrageous-and so he
attacks Somatic Cell Nuclear Transfer (SCNT) called therapeutic cloning,
which is about copying cells.

Joe McCarthy ruined careers and attracted cameras when he held up a list of
57 communists allegedly found in Congress or the state department or our
bedrooms, I forget which. Nobody ever saw the actual list, (coincidentally
the same number as a popular catsup brand, Heinz 57, and the number seemed
to change according to McCarthy's mood)- Sam Brownback has a list of his
own.

Brownback loves to hold up a list of 58 diseases supposedly successfully
treated by adult stem cells: meaning, since adult stem cells are so
wonderful, we don't need anything else.

Now the people who have the diseases have not yet found out they are
cured-they think  they still have the diseases-but Sam Brownback has his
cause and his list, and suffering people don't seem very important to him.

Brownback and his legislative twin in the House of Representatives, Dave
Weldon, Republican of Florida,  have tried three times to get their
anti-research bill into law.

If they win, any patient, parent, scientist or doctor who has anything to do
with SCNT would go to jail for ten years, and be fined a minimum one million
dollars.

Ridiculous?

Yes.

But their Cloning Prohibition Act has already passed the House of
Representatives twice (the first time without even a public hearing) and
twice was held back in the Senate.

Brownback has also tried a third time-- and that attempt is still ongoing.

No one has done more to attack the hopes of chronically ill and disabled
people everywhere.

Samuel Brownback... he calls himself Senator Sam.

He would be less dangerous if he were not so likeable. Brownback can charm
people, and when he is talking it is easy to think, oh, he's not so bad.
Like a dangerous clown, he is clever, and cunning, and knows how to make
people laugh.

He smiles, and he laughs.

But he hopes to send people to jail for doing research for cure.

He is my candidate for the cruelest, coldest, most uncaring man alive.

 --Don Reed
Submit Questions or Comments