Scientist Hopes For Stem Cell Success
Feb. 23, 2006
"I have never seen in my career a biological tool as powerful as the stem
cells. It addresses every single human disease."

Dr. Hans Keirstead
(CBS) The doctor who injected human stem cells into paralyzed rats and saw
them walk again knows he may not be able to duplicate the feat in humans.

But the walking rats give Hans Keirstead and the millions who could benefit
from his research the hope that something positive will come out of human
clinical trials he hopes will take place.

60 Minutes correspondent Ed Bradley talks to Keirstead about stem-cell
research this Sunday, Feb. 26, at 7 p.m. ET/PT.

Keirstead believes that embryonic stem cells - cells culled from a
fertilized human egg that can grow into any type of cell in the body - are a
medical milestone seen only every 100 years.

"I have never seen in my career a biological tool as powerful as the stem
cells. It addresses every single human disease," says Keirstead.

So when he injected them into the spine of a paralyzed rat, they replaced
the damaged spinal cells that were causing the paralysis. The rat walked
again, but Keirstead knows it's a huge leap to expect a human to do that.

"The fears of giving someone false hope are real," Keirstead tells Bradley.
"We're not trying to come up with something to take people from zero
capabilities to 100 percent. These are incremental advances and it's
experimental. I think we could call this a dazzling success if we saw the
smallest improvement in the ability of a human to do anything that they
could not do. If they could move a single finger, I would call that a raving
success. Let's hope it's a lot more."

Keirstead has his critics who say he is trying to rush the treatment into
humans, in whom the side effects from stem cells are unknown and could
include the formation of tumors or other abnormal cells.

"I am very concerned and I'll be losing sleep, no doubt, when this first
gets into humans," says Keirstead. "There is a potential for harm. This is a
risky endeavor, like any clinical trial."

Some, including President Bush, who believe life starts in the fertilized
egg, think harm is already being done because when the stem cells are taken
from a human embryo, the embryo dies. The federal government, for this
reason, has restricted funds for stem-cell research. People like Keirstead
raise money privately and some states have begun to pass laws to make funds
available for the research.

Keirstead says he is doing good, pointing out that the embryos being used
were created for in-vitro fertilization and, because they are no longer
needed, fertility clinics often discarded them.

"I think the use of embryonic stem cells is an ethical and responsible thing
to do with tissue that would have been destroyed," he tells Bradley. "If you
think that (the embryo) is a holy thing, then value it . . Use it for
research and the betterment of lives. Don't throw it away."

By Michael Radutzky/Tanya Simon © MMV, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights
Reserved.

INSIDE 60 Minutes