Hi, Dee -
  The legislative process IS confusing.  I just went on to GovTrack.US - it states that HR 810 Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act of 2005 was introduced by Rep. Michael Castle (Delaware) and passed in the House.  The president threatened to veto it. On June 6 '05 S-471, introduced by Sens. Specter and Harkin was placed on the Senate Legislative calendar.  HR 810 and S-471 are identical.  I think it's S-471 which requires our attenton and action.
  Dolores

Dolores Buente <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  Dear Dolores,

Thank you for sending the chronology of proposed stem cell legislation. It
came through fine in your e-mail and having studied it, it has helped me to
understand a little better the actions that have previously been taken to get us
to the point we are today. Your reminder that this is the time for a land
swell of constituents to contact their members of congress with requests to take
action on the passage of legislation that will expand the number of stem cell
lines available for federal funding is right on target and much appreciated.

After reading your post today and trying to understand the complexities of
the legislative process, I called representative Degette's office and spoke with
Judd Perry of her health staff. I asked him to please explain which bill it
is that constituents should be in favor of: HR-810 or S-471. His advise was
that HR-810 (with no amendments) was the favored bill.
It could be voted on intact and would not have to go back to committee.

I asked Mr. Perry if he thought that action on any of these bills would take
place any time soon. He reaffirmed your position that Senators need to be
hearing from their constituents NOW (especially from those states whose Senate
members are on the borderline with their vote, ie; Kay Baily Hutchings (Texas),
Mike Dewine (Ohio), Jim Talent (Missouri) and that he couldn't guarantee
anything but that with enough support action could possibly be taken before
Memorial Day.

In attempting to clarify this issue for myself, I hope that I have gotten the
facts right and have added something beneficial to the efforts.

Dee

Dee