i understand that l-dopa induced dyskinesias are technically transient - however, when ceasing to take the drug that causes them appears not to be an option, ever, are they *really* transient?

if you are *really* lucky, amantadine or a dopamine agonist (maybe) might manage them for a while, though from what i have read, success in that department is a major challenge. Or DBS might help, but hey, maybe brain surgery would help tardive dyskinesias, too - has anyone tried it? heck if it works for them, maybe then they will scale back all the warnings on the neuroleptic labels, and maybe then they will just keep folks on those drugs that make the dykinesias worse and worse, and then they will start publishing studies that say "hey, turns out tardive dyskinesias aren't so bad! after all, they can always just cut a hole in your skull and monkey around a little with your brain, et voila! piece of cake! now be quiet and take your medicine!"

my point is that even *if* levodopa-induced dyskinesias (LIDs) are technically more transient than tardive (which, from what the labels say, are not *always* permanent either), given the extremely high likelihood of them developing in five years, and given how difficult it is to manage/treat them (along with on-off fluctuations, formerly known as loss of efficacy), and given that short of brain surgery no one, but no one, *ever* (as far as i know) goes off l-dopa once they have been on it long enough to start experiencing its real joys, LIDs are, in practice, neither manageable over the long term nor avoidable by going off l-dopa.

and in my opinion, they deserve equal play on labels, and equal concern, and equal obligation on the parts of doctors to make sure the patient knows the real risks.

and what *we* deserve, almost 40 years down the line, is something better.

Mary Ann Ryan <[log in to unmask]> wrote: ....because the dyskinesia associated with Sinemet is transient whereas
Tardive Dyskinesia can be permanent.  Doses of anti-psychotics that induce
TD are usually large in comparison to Sinemet.  I find it interesting that
long before TD occurs in psychotic patients, they obviously have the
symptoms of PD, including tremor and bradykinesia.
God bless
Mary Ann (CG Jamie 66/26 with PD)