The second study claiming it found an association
between DAs and gambling was published in 2005 - Dr.
Leann Dodd was the lead author.

Among those taking DAs, Dr. Dodd found an incidence
of.... well, it is hard to say, actually, since all
she said was that she found 11 people who became
pathological gamblers after starting a DA.

Since it seemed odd for a study from which no
incidence could be derived should be publicized via
Reuters, I wrote to Dr. Dodd with a list of questions.
I asked about the absence of incidence; the fact that
about 73% of the DA gamblers were also on sinemet; why
she included four people in her 11 who had not started
gambling until 1 - 2.5 years after starting/increasing
the dosage of a DA; and why, in her survey of the
literature in the field on the subject, she excluded
without explanation a study by Molina, who found an
incidence of pathological gambling of 4.0-4.5% among
subjects on levodopa alone - there is no mention of
other drugs.

Dr. Dodd responded, commenting that my questions were
very good and not at all like the questions she had
typically been receiving from PWP/caregivers. She
asked what my background and motivation were and
suggested that we engage publicly by via a letter to
the editor (LTTE) at the Archives of Neurology (AN). I
told her I have PD and said I would be happy to engage
via AN, how would I go about doing that.

Dr. Dodd never responded.

As it turns out, the deadline had long since passed by
the time Dr. Dodd made her suggestion, a fact that
could not have been lost on her given that she had
already responded to other LTTEs regarding her study
(see the February issue of AN).

Last night I emailed Dr. Dodd again, asking how a
study without incidence could be meaningful, and why
Molina, even if he had, as she claimed in response to
a LTTE, failed to mention the presence of other
dopaminergic drugs, was not permitted to absolve those
drugs of complicity out of hand - because after all,
that was what she did with sinemet, pretty much.

Finally, I pointed out that given that the majority of
gamblers in her study were also on sinemet, the
onset/cessation of behavior coinciding with the
starting/stopping a DA could not be taken as evidence
that the DA was solely responsible. Unless one also
observed some [significant, preferably] elevation in
incidence among a group on DAs *alone,* then clearly
it would be possible that an alleged problem could be
the result of the two drugs together, i.e., an excess
of dopaminergic activity in general.

I will let you know if she responds. Meanwhile, stay
tuned for Part III, the Szarfman study.