Because I believe Rayilyn Brown has made a valid point about the spread of
misinformation regarding research that I believe is central to finding a
cure for Parkinson's, I have sent the following letter of support for her
story suggestion along with a copy of that suggestion to 60 Minutes, 20/20,
Dateline, Nightline and 48 Hours. Anyone thinking of doing the same, please
feel free to use any part of my letter that you may find useful.

<start of letter>

I urge you to investigate the claim by Rayilyn Brown that opponents of
embryonic stem cell (ESC) research have been effectively misinforming the
American public and news media by grossly exaggerating the benefits of
experimental adult stem cell (ASC) treatment methodologies in arresting or
curing degenerative diseases such as Parkinsons.  By overstating the
successes of adult stem cell treatments, the opponents of embryonic stem
cell research would have us believe that available research dollars are far
better spent on ASC research of which they approve rather than on ESC
research which they believe to be intrinsically immoral.

The best way to lower health care costs is to find the cures to the
diseases that plague us. Stem cell research offers that hope provided its
results are not politicized or distorted. The American public is entitled
to the truth about the potential effectiveness of adult stem cell research
vis-a-vis embryonic stem cell research. I believe Ms. Brown's story merits
full, honest and accurate investigative reporting. I hope you will bring
this news worthy story to your program audience.

Robert M. Johnson
Holbrook, MA

att: Rayilyn Brown's story suggestion

<end of letter>