i got into another little exchange with dr. doraiswamy (co-author with dr. szarfman on study #3) between naps while i was home sick this week, and had an epiphany.

those two studies - the two gambling/DA stories - they actually show that there is *not* an association between DAs and gambling.

so far, both a friend of mine and dr stacy have confirmed that as far as they, neither of whom is a statistician, can tell, my calculation of significance is correct - in other words, there is none - so that study actually shows the opposite of what it was publicized as showing.

and dodd's 2005 study - i can think of no reason that an author would withhold the number that would allow the determining of incidence - except one - that number would have shown that there was no association between DAs and gambling.

and *that* means that the FDA "study," which they unabashedly announce in the opening salvo is meant to expand on dodd's 2005 study, given that most, if not all, the reports it finds came in after the 2005 study, that means the FDA is reporting on a signal that is based not just on reports that came in as a result of publicity of a phenomenon with no basis in reality, but on reports that came in as a result of publicity of a phenomenen that had actually been shown *not* to exist.

i hope that makes sense.

mackenzie <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
mackenzie  wrote: The third study, published in February of 2006, was
actually a sort of elevated letter to the editor
(LTTE) sent to the Archives of Neurology (AN) in
response to Dr. Dodd�s study. The lead author, Dr. Ana
Szarfman, works at the Center for Drug Evaluation and
Research (CDER) at the FDA.*

Dr. Szarfman and colleagues expanded on Dr. Dodd�s
study by �mining� the FDA�s Adverse Event Reporting
System Database for reports of gambling associated
with particular drugs. They found 67 reports
associated with 23 drugs* - Mirapex had 39 of those
reports.  They conclude their report by saying that
given their findings in the database, and the reports
of the onset/cessation of behavior coinciding with
commencing/discontinuing �these� drugs, and the case
reports in the literature, the question should be
raised ofo whether these drugs have an effect on
impulse control.

I have more issues with this study than you could
shake a stick at, but i will only address the two that
i see as most important.

First of all, there is the caveat found in the
instructions regarding how the database should and
should not be used - i think it speaks for itself:

"For any given report, there is no certainty that a
suspected drug cause the reaction. This is because
physicians are encouraged to report suspected
reactions; however, the event may have been related to
the underlying disease being treated, or caused by
some other drug being taken concurrently, or simply
occurred by chance at that time.

Accumulated reports cannot be used to calculate
incidence (occurrence rates) or to estimate drug risk.
Comparisons between drugs cannot be made from these
data."

Secondly, given that the 2003 and 2005 studies are
arguably fatally flawed, the only way a report of
gambling with Mirapex could be credible is if it was
registered before the 2003 study was published. So, I
asked Drs. Szarfman and Doraiswamy to tell me the
dates of the reports, or at least how many came in
before August on 2003 and how many after.

I asked for that information three times. The first
time, Dr. Szarfman sent me to a place called NTIS,
where I discovered that it would cost me about $4000
to obtain the whole database back to 1968, and that I
would need some kind of industrial strength database
program on my computer into which the data could be
dumped. I went back to Dr. Doraiswamy asked again,
twice.

By the time I made the third request, I had become
quite sure that the previous two studies were baseless
and so I asked Dr. Doraiswamy to address the two
biggest holes in those two studies - the question of
statistical significance and the question of a lack of
incidence - and then I requested to be given the dates
once more.

Dr. Doraiswamy responded wishing me good luck on my
research and saying that he did not have the
information i sought handy.

I didn�t respond until today at which time I wrote and
asked for some clarity on an apparent discrepancy in
the study (see asterisk below.)

I have submitted a request under the Freedom of
Information Act to pull all the information I think
Szarfman et al pulled for their study.. I expect to
have it in about two months.

While writing this I have realized there is a Part IV.
sigh. And maybe part V.

Mackenzie

*The 67 reports distributed amont 23 drugs part
appears to be contradicted by a table showing 67
reports apparently distributed among 6 drugs - i have
another email in to Dr. Szarfman��s colleague, Dr.
Doraiswamy.