Dear All:

I wish I could come to Gimli and talk about this issue... and many
others... but I can't be there this year. We all need a better idea than
"plagiarism" to frame the connection of reading and writing, and CASLL
is just the group to work on it.

I missed the Cs altogether too, but got to an excellent conference at
University of Michigan last September. It was called Originality,
Imitation, and Plagiarism--a nice list of concepts in itself. The
program is still online at
http://141.211.177.75/swc/conference/program/. The lineup of speakers
was amazing. Their insights on Originality and Imitation looked at those
ideas in terms of history, economics, law, culture, literature, language
development, etc. etc. In that perspective, plagiarism thus seemed like
a small-minded concern, though also more understandable as behaviour.
Michigan will publish a book based on the conference talks, and I'm
already looking forward to it. The thoroughly descriptive bibliography
provided for participants ahead of time is also a treasure
(http://141.211.177.75/swc/conference/bibliography/).

Margaret
University of Toronto

--
Margaret Procter, Ph.D.
University of Toronto Coordinator, Writing Support

http://www.utoronto.ca/writing