I'm always resentful of people using listservs like CASLL to further
political and social agendas that aren't relevant to the list.  I
don't _think_ I'm doing that, but if you think I am, I apologize.

There's an online petition designed to put pressure on the government
(and the opposition parties) to keep the minority conservatives from
abandoning the previous government's commitment to child care programs
and converting it into an all-purpose handout that will
disproportionately benefit one segment of society (guess which?).  I
usually don't believe in online petitions (though I often sign them)
because I think they don't have much effect. Given the current
political situation in Canada, though, I think this one might have
some chance of affecting the situation.

And it's one that has everything to do with language and learning,
which is what Inkshed is about.

Here's the link; click it to sign the petition

> http://www.buildchildcare.ca/BE_petition.php/honourthem

And if you think the Globe is worth considering, here's a link to a
recent article that lays out some of the issues.

>  http://tinyurl.com/gdljd

-- Russ

Russell Hunt
Department of English