Hi Maryse,

I have no problem with making people aware of dopaminergic drugs - including levodopa - and possible compulsive behavior - I do have a problem with studies that do *not* show an association between two things being trumpeted from the rooftops as if they *do* show an association, particularly when the only place for people who are frightened away from DAs to go is into the arms of a drug that, without a shred of doubt, *will* cause terrible side effects.

Dodd's study had two people who gambled on ropinerole. Two.

Just for the sake of argument, consider the fact that in addition to being on l-dopa, most in these studies had reached a level of disability that required more medication. i am sure you know *that* is depressing, and depression is a risk factor for gambling.

If one is going to blame DAs in addition to Mirapex, one cannot ignore the incidence of gambling with *all* dopamine agonists, and, *including Mirapex* that incidence is well within the normal range. So, this study does not support the thought that ropinerole is responsible for the gambling. Only the Molina study shows an association between dopaminergic drugs and gambling, and he attributes it to levodopa.

Dr. Stacy himself says: "Certainly the overall incidence of excessive gambling in pd, including the 752 sujects prescribed pergolide and ropinerole.. does not exceed the accepted general population expectations."

I looked through the PIENO archives for some anecdotal stuff. aside from two people who talk about their gambling issues (one attributes it to his pallidotomy, the other to his meds in general), there is only one anecdotal account prior to Stacy’s study in 2003.

I think I might hear a collective sigh of relief when I say that i think I am done debating this - will let you all know if there are any new developments.