Actually, we don't know what the effect of "PD itself" would be.  With very few exceptions, PWPs are treated with various individual drugs or combinations.  We would not be able, ethically, to withhold treatment from PWPs in order to find out what the effects of "PD itself" would be, beyond what is described in the historical literature.

It's also not contradictory for both high and low levels of dopamine to lead to compulsive behavior.  People with low levels because of PD are treated with drugs to increase their dopamine levels (or equivalent).  It's not surprising that they would then behave like people with higher levels.

I am working on some more extensive comments on the issue of pathological gambling and PD, which I will hopefully finish in the next few days.