California Stem Cell Report
News, information and commentary on public policy and business issues
involving California's new stem cell agency, the California Institute for
Regenerative Medicine, created by Prop. 71.
Wednesday, April 19, 2006
Eyewitness Legislative View from Stem Cell Advocate
Stem cell advocate Don Reed attended the hearing Tuesday on legislation to
tighten up oversight of the California stem cell agency and posted an
account of the proceedings.

Reed is firm supporter of CIRM, as you will see from his account on his
blog. But he is also a competent reporter who provides information that you
will not find elsewhere.

Following the presentation by Sen. Deborah Ortiz, Reed wrote that:
"We now had our two opportunities to respond. A member of the ICOC spoke
first. Let's call him Sam. He is a great guy, and on the ICOC board he is an
effective speaker because he has essentially no time limits, and can take as
long as he wants to gather his thoughts. But this was a different situation,
far more structured."
On Ortiz' presentation, Reed wrote in part:

"Naturally, every point was slanted to her benefit, but if you did not know
what was going on, she was absolutely convincing. This is an old pro at the
height of her powers, a genuinely great advocate for her cause-I just wish
we were on the same side.

"She framed the lawsuits issue completely out of whack: as if our side
implied she was responsible for the current lawsuits! 'Frankly, I think they
would have sued, no matter what,' she said with a smile and a tilt of her
head. (This was, of course, not the issue at all; rather the additional
lawsuits which her new law would make likely.)"
One thing about "Sam," in all fairness, it is tough to compete on unfriendly
turf, something some critics of CIRM have learned when they appear before
that agency.

There is more interesting commentary from Reed. Check it out.
posted by California Stem Cell Report at 2:06 PM | 0 comments links to this
post