Stem cell research gets victim support
By: Robert Cristo, The Record
04/14/2006

TROY - A rare and emotional glimpse into a day in the life of a paralyzed
Colonie man was witnessed on the big screen Thursday for Hudson Valley
Community College students.
Those at the program got a powerful lesson on both the harsh realities of
living as a quadriplegic and about the positive treatment embryonic stem
cell research could potentially provide if state and federal leaders make
funding a priority.
Up until seven years ago, 36-year-old Michael DiScipio of Colonie was a
healthy, strong father of three children. He had a loving wife, a job as an
Albany County Jail corrections officer and a bright future.
But everything was torn apart on July 5, 1999, when DiScipio dove into the
shallow part of his backyard pool, landing hard.
"We were celebrating my son's Little League team winning the championship.
.... I dove in the pool, broke my neck, along with other injuries that left
me paralyzed from the chest down," said DiScipio. "Considering the
circumstances, I'm doing well these days.
"I try to stay busy, and my family, friends and loved ones' support keeps my
spirits high," he added.
In the years after his accident, DiScipio became an ardent supporter of
adult stem cell, and the more controversial embryonic, research that could
hold the key to curing many medical conditions and diseases in the future.
"New York state is standing back and watching other states move forward in
research," said DiScipio, about how the state currently does support adult
stem cell research but not embryonic. "We need to start listening more to
researchers than religious beliefs."
As a way of conveying the message that stem cell research "may possess the
silver key in triumphing over personal tragedy," as he coins it, DiScipio
allowed the video-tapping of the deeply personal account of how even the
simplest activity requires a lot of assistance and hassle.
The 25-minute video starts off with happy photographs of a brawny, 220-pound
shirtless DiScipio with his family and kids at the Little League, but then
switches in tone to a shot of him in the pool that pans to the shallow
waters that would change his life forever.
After that, the video picks up with a nurse at his bedside placing him in a
lift, transferring him to the bathroom, cleaning him, brushing his teeth,
giving him physical therapy, putting his clothes on. It shows DiScipio
working at a computer by poking the keyboard with a stick he holds in his
mouth before being put back to bed by the nurse.
It ends with members of his family coming to his side to give him a kiss on
the cheek. Members of the audience and panel were reduced to tears.
"That's pretty dramatic stuff you saw," said a teary-eyed Paul Richter, a
former State Police sergeant who was temporally paralyzed after getting shot
during a routine traffic stop. He joined DiScipio to discuss stem cell
research with the audience.
"It's raw, unvarnished and personal stuff, and I respect Mike for showing
it. I'm crying because it pisses you off when you show this video to the
state Legislature and it doesn't have the power to make them sign a bill for
research into law," he added.
What further enrages Richter is that a recent statewide poll conducted by
Zogby shows that a majority of New Yorkers support some form of state and
federal funding for stem cell research.
"Politicians have to understand that a majority of people support this
research," said Richter. "I (also) guarantee you that the people who are
fighting against this (stem cell research) will be the first ones to the
front of the line for treatment."
Optimism for more funding was dashed earlier this year when the Legislature
and Gov. George Pataki failed to reach agreement on a stem cell research
funding package.
Both State Senate Majority Leader Joseph Bruno, R-Brunswick, and Assembly
Speaker Sheldon Silver, D-Manhattan, favor state funding for stem cell
research.
And if elected governor, state Attorney General Eliot Spitzer has made it
public that stem cell research will be a crucial element of his health and
economic plans.
Spitzer believes the state should commit at least $1 billion over the next
decade to support stem cell and other types of medical research.

ŠThe Record 2006