----- Original Message -----
From: "rayilynlee" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, April 20, 2006 1:18 PM
Subject: Questions re PD and the Bible

> Why in the lesser known (Exodus 34:26-28) of the 3 versions of the 10
> Commandments is there one prohibiting the cooking of a young goat in its
> mother's milk?

According to the traditional interpretation, the fact that this prohibition is
repeated three times (Exodus 23:19, Exodus 34:26, Deuteronomy 14:21) implies
that there is more than just the literal meaning intended.  We derive the
prohibition of mixing meat and dairy from the repetition.

A modern interpretation would be that the whole chapter is emphasizing not being
drawn into the religious practices of the surrounding peoples.  The symbolism of
this one is particularly cruel and jarring.

> Why were 42 children killed in the name of God for calling a man "bald"(2
> Kings:2:23-24)

The incident is not explained very well, but it seems clear that the children
were not just giving a neutral anatomical description.  They were taunting him,
but it is not clear why or why Elisha reacted as strongly as he did, even though
he was mourning his master, Elijah.

In the Talmud, the Rabbis are obviously uncomfortable with the incident and
attempt to justify it by saying that the children were not really children but
young ruffians.  They also say that the suffering of Elisha's final illness was
punishment for it.

> What does this have to do with Parkinson's disease and why am I told over and
over by Christians to read the Bible?  I was told to do this by a woman in a
restaurant last Sunday  when she noted my disability and difficulty moving.

There are two approaches:  (1)  They're jerks, so ignore them.  (2)  Give them
the benefit of the doubt and assume they meant well and that they meant to say
religion could help you to come to terms with the disease.  There are certainly
many examples in human experience of that happening.  But they are still jerks
since they don't know that just reading the Bible, starting with page 1, is not
going to do it.

> I have many, many more questions, like the several versions of Jesus' lineage,
but they can be answered off list.

Sorry, that's not my field.  But, in general, if you look for contradictions,
that's what you'll find.

Ray

> for Intelligent Design advocates - why do men have nipples?  Spike doesn't.

I am not an Intelligent Design advocate.  Assuming Spike is your male dog -- my
understanding is that male dogs do have nipples in nature, but they may not
develop if it is spayed at a very young age.