# 137 Friday, April 28, 2006  - GOING TO WASHINGTON

Tricia Brooks of the Christopher Reeve Foundation (to whom I owe at last
count about two gazillion favors-she and Michael Manganiello are non-stop
workers in the patient rights/stem cell research community) finally asked me
to do something.

"Huge rally, May 1-2, please come", is what it boiled down to-only it is on
the East Coast, three thousand miles away.

I tried to weasel out of it with the usual "our-hearts-are-with-you"
balderdash, but Tricia wasn't having it.

"This is important," she said.

I finally figured a way out.

I would credit card the airfare if-if-she could find me an activist with a
spare couch for me to sleep on.

Plainly this was the end of it.

Organizers at Tricia Brooks's level do not have time to arrange
accommodations.

Whew, I thought, one less chore to worry about, plus if I had gone, that
would have meant I had to miss at least one and maybe two ICOC subcommittee
meetings. (May 1 and May 3).

But why did Tricia have to mention Susan Sarandon was going to be there?

Susan Sarandon, in person? Naturally, as a happily married man, (not to
mention a terrified one)  I am above such low carnal considerations as
thinking about one of America's hardest-working human rights activists in
physical terms. Far be it from me to have knees that quake when that sultry
smoky voice says sensual things like the "A" section of the phone book, or
those eyes, huge pools of unspecified individual promise, and a body
that-that-- BULL DURHAM, don't think about that scene in the movie where she
tells the young ball player how she is going to. encourage and inspire him--
or ATLANTIC CITY, especially not Atlantic City--

The telephone rang. For a frantic instant, I thought-

I always answer my calls in the middle of the first ring, even if I have to
leap across the dining room table to do so-just politeness.

"Hello, hello?!!"

"Hey, Don, it's Kris Gulden!"

Kris Gulden is one of the quiet workers behind the scenes on which our
progress depends. But when there is need to speak up in public, she has no
qualms, testifying in clear people terms about what it is like to be
paralyzed, and why it is just good sense to support research for cure.

She is also, like Tricia, a favor-doer. Years ago, I needed an effective
speaker to help out the Roman Reed Act before a crucial committee. Paying
her own way, Kris Gulden flew cross-country to help, was there when the
battle was fiercest, and then quietly went home.

And I always remember one photographic instant, when Kris became part of the
history of our cause.

Orrin Hatch, conservatives' conservative, the most pro-life member of the
United States Senate, had just publicly come out in support of  Somatic Cell
Nuclear Transfer. His advocacy for us was on a level with Nancy Reagan's
kindness and courage; it meant so much to us.

Spontaneously, Orrin Hatch hugged Kris Gulden on the White House steps. That
hug, between a conservative Senator who could stand, and a woman in her
wheelchair who could not-- was a symbolic promise that politics would not
stop research for cure.

"Tricia Brooks just talked to me," she said.

Which is why, 5:48 Monday morning, Kris Gulden will be picking me up at the
airport, and why three hours later, I may be within 100 yards of Susan
Sarandon.

Susan, Tricia, Kris, John Smith and friends of the key organizing group
United 2 Walk are putting together a dual-purpose rally and Congressional
visitation.

We will be talking about the Christopher Reeve Act, which has languished far
too long in the wings of Congress, and the Stem Cell Research Enhancement
Act, of which exactly the same is true. (Do you realize it has been almost
exactly one year since the latter passed the House of Representatives? One
year, waiting, one year-time the Senate acted-no more promises, we want
action!)

We will visit Senators and Representatives.

And then my advocate friend Kris Gulden will inconvenience herself yet
again, and drive me to the airport.

I will fly back to the Bay Area, and the continuation of the fight against
SB 401.

The Appropriations Committee meets on Wednesdays, and while it has not been
posted yet, I suspect SB 401 will be rushed to that day, May 3.

If so, naturally I have to be there, which means I will miss an ICOC
standards working group meeting in San Diego, which I hate to do, with
things getting so exciting now.

Remember, if you have not yet sent your letter to Assemblymember Judy Chu,
chair of the Appropriations Committee-it's not too late.

CLICK HERE FOR ADDRESS.

Today is Friday. You can still fax and email the message today, and over the
weekend, even Monday or Tuesday-- but if you don't send it today, chances
are, the swirl of life will sweep you away to the various personal
emergencies-and  you may forget.

Maybe, do it right away? It would be such a help.

FLASH! Nancy Reagan sends a personal message of support for Prop 71 and the
recent crushing decision against the trash-talk lawsuits against us.

"I am delighted with the decision to uphold Proposition 71. I am hopeful now
that we can move ahead with this important work that means so much to so
many."

-- Nancy Reagan, April 24, 2006

DOUBLE FLASH! Los Angeles Times, the most important paper in the state, came
out strongly against Senate Bill 401 (Ortiz/Runner)!

The editorial, "Let Science begin", comments about the spurious lawsuits,
and then.

(SB 401) ".another effort to rein in the stem cell agency's work, in the
Legislature, should be rejected as well. Senate Bill 401 would put on the
ballot a measure to set up various rigid and picayune regulations on the
institute. The agency's board already has adopted key elements of these
proposed regulations. But by carving the rules into stone now, the measure
would take away any flexibility the board might need as this fledgling
research unfolds.

The bill's author, state Sen. Deborah Ortiz (D-Sacramento) has been one of
those forces pushing the agency in the right direction, but her measure is
at best premature.  the agency is on the right track. It should be given the
chance to work out its rules and begin its important research before the
Legislature starts micromanaging every aspect of its work."-Los Angeles
Times,
April 27, 2006

YAYYYY! Thank you, Los Angeles Times!

I mean, share this important information with your friends.

By Don Reed, www.stemcellbattles.com           Submit Questions or Comments