Dear Mary Ann,
I wish I could report that my personal experiences with doctors were like
the Norman Rockwell portrait physicians that you have known.  I was
diagnosed with PD by a doctor I was seeing for the very first time with my
complaint being that I was experiencing some stiffness in the tendon of my
left heal.  After suddenly enfolding me in his arms (he smelled bad) and
knocking me over (was he crossing some line here?), he bluntly announced
that he thought it was parkinson's disease.  He suggested I get an MRI and
see a neurologist.  I left his office in a state of shock and homophobia.
Only later did I learn that the purpose of the MRI was to rule out a brain
tumor.  Fortunately, the stress that I experienced from the visit
exacerbated my symptoms so that by the time I had the MRI and saw a
neurologist, the neurologist was readily able to confirm the diagnosis.
However, far from being the warm-hearted, compassionate physician that you
have known, this man made me realize what an insect must experience while
being examined by a scientist through a microscope.  He sat in a very
expensive powder blue suit behind his desk which was festooned with golf
knick-knacks.  Was it my imagination that he had a small wooden sign on his
wall that playfully read, "I'd rather be golfing!"  He studied me in a
remote but vaguely curious look, as if he had played out this scene so many
times before, telling a seemingly healthy person that they had an incurable,
progressive disease, and wondering what defensive measures I would employ in
my attempt to cope with the bad news.  He offered no information.  He dryly
asked me if I had any questions.  I had little framework to formulate and
hang a  question upon, knowing so little about parkinson's disease.  I
stuttered, "Will it effect any of the other organs of my body?" to which he
answered, "No."  We sat in silence, I feeling guilty that I was holding up a
foursome on the 1st tee at the Westchester Country Club.

I realized that I had not been medically well served, so I went to another
neurologist.  I have a problem when it comes to social situations.  When
people learn that I am a psychologist, they immediately think that I am
analyzing them and get very weird, or they take the opportunity to unburdon
themselves and tell me their problems.  So, I was not completelly surprised
that interlaced with this new neuroligist's routine examine: close your
eyes, finger to nose, stand on your toes, hop on one foot, toe tap,... he
filled me in on his marital problems.  "Tap your left foot.  My wife is
ruining me with her credit card spending.  Tap your right foot.  She's spent
$50,000 on one card alone.  Close your eyes and touch your nose with your
right forefinger.  I'll never be able to retire.  This can't go on.  Now
touch your nose with your left finger.  Do you think that's fair?  What is
the matter with her?  Walk up and down. Your walking is good.  Now she wants
to redecorate the house!"

I gave him what verbal support I could muster and as I left he filled my
arms with samples of Comtan, Requip, and Permax.

The third neurologist I saw was like the first, although evidently, he
didn't golf.  However, he looked quite depressed.  He didn't talk much, but
just sat there looking at me ruefully.  As I described my symptoms to him,
he punched the keys on what looked like a little hand held calculator.  He
assured me that I could take up to 17 tablets of sinemet without harm. He
dutifuly filled out the disability form from my insurance company.   At the
end of our session, he announced that this was our last session since he had
decided to devote his practice exclusively to stroke victims.  Had I said
too much?

I decided to go back to the neurologist with the marital problems.  At least
he talked! Here and there I hoped to get a word in edge-wise about my
condition.  But alas, it was not to be.   It was one of his off days.  There
I learned that he was very angry at the Republican party, particularly John
McCain.  He was shouting so loudly that when I went out into the waiting
room everyone looked at me as if I was a very difficult and dangerous
patient.  What had I said to the doctor to upset him so?  But at least I had
a fistful of Sinemet prescriptions!

Since then I have been called out of the blue by a cheerful neurologist
offering me Deep Brain Stimulation surgery, and did I want to come in for a
workup?  It only involved a hundred miles of traveling and a $100,000.  I
said I'd think it over, not wishing to be rude.  He assured me it's the
latest, greatest thing, as I hung up the phone.

So, right now I am between doctors.  Actually, I'm between wives since my
wife invited her twenty year Arab old boyfriend to have Thanksgiving with me
and the kids.  Now there would be a Norman Rockwell painting!

Regards, David