David, thank you for your very well written expression of how the patient
and family view Parkinson's Disease.  I would disagree with the 'Albatross'
reference.  My husband is hardly that - even though he is severely impaired
now, he is a treasured member of our family.  Our little three year old
grandson considers him especially precious.

I have been with doctors many times when the diagnosis has been given and
explained.  The wide majority of physicians care deeply about their patients
and are empathetic when identifying a disease process (whatever it may be)
and it's effects.  Most of the time I have been a witness to such
communication, the physician has asked me to come into the room so that when
they leave, the patient will be able to ask the questions the shock of the
diagnosis silences.

In my experience, patients deal far better with  symptoms if they know the
cause.  Regardless of how the members of this list view PD, most people who
receive the diagnosis are told about treatment options (hope) not the long,
arduous journey ahead.  As we all know, everyone's PD path is different -
some progress only slightly while others crash and burn quickly.  It is best
for the patient to be allowed to hope.  No one knows what the outcome will
eventually be, certainly not the doctor.

I'm curious as to why a neurologist would be reluctant to tell a patient
that the diagnosis is PD.  In my experience, that is one of the more benign
diseases a neurologist deals with.  What would this doctor, who wrote PD on
a piece of paper, do if he had to tell a patient that they had a terminal
brain tumor - or ALS.  I shiver to think.  The guy should be fired.  I'd
find another neuro in a heart beat.
God bless
Mary Ann (CG Jamie 66/26 with PD)

  I don't know how doctors do it.  Parkinson's disease is not