Dear Friends, Relatives and opponents:

I just returned from my first anti-war rally and it was a positive experience.  Wore my "I support stem cell research" T-shirt since my fellow protesters are not hostile in this Red State.

We are "Grandmas to Stop the War'" and the intersection of Bell Road and 99th Street is very crowded.  Despite one guy who flipped us the bird and another who called us "assholes" there were many friendly waves and "honks" for peace.  Even though there were only 20 or so of us, I know our message touched and was seen by hundreds of people.  As I sat on my walker seat and held my sign I couldn't help but think of the people dying right now from war and disease.

During the Vietnam Era I was too busy  teaching to protest  a war that took thousands of lives in vain.  Besides, when I started teaching in 1965 I had to sign a loyalty oath to teach for LA City Schools, shades of McCarthy.  I consider my silence in that war my greatest "sin", which was brought home tome when I saw myself in the "Wall".

The Grandmas for Peace protest every other Saturday.  I will be there as long as I can.

Ray