www.stemcellaction.org
Thursday, May 11, 2006

  Dear Fellow SCAN Members,
I am writing again because I can't stop thinking about numbers: the
millions of Americans who suffer from diseases that may be helped if
stem cell research proceeds with significant support from the
federal government; the 400,000 embryos in storage in the nation's
fertility clinics that will be thrown away, wasted; the inadequate
number of stem cell lines, (less than 30) available to researchers
using federal funds because of restrictions created by President
Bush in August 2001.

The numbers on my mind are the numbers on the clock. I was
diagnosed with M.S. in 1978 and too many hours and days are passing
without a cure. Will embryonic stem cell research provide a cure? If
the funding barriers continue, we will not know the answer for a
very long time. For millions of Americans like me, wasting time is
disrespectful and deadly.

With unprecedented bipartisan support, the U.S. House of
Representatives passed H.R. 810 - The Stem Cell Research Enhancement
Act - on May 24, 2005. It has been nearly a year, and despite
promises from Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist that the bill would
see swift action in the Senate, it has not.   Senator Frist, the
Majority leader of the House of Representatives is keeping this bill
locked up in committee because he can. He is keeping it locked up
because he believes that few Americans really care about this bill
which would open federal funding to more stem cell lines, the very
thing that so many researchers need to proceed with their work.
I wrote to you last Saturday, asking you to call Frist's office
(202.224.3344) or send him a fax if you prefer (fax: 202.228.1264).
If you have already done so, I want to give you my thanks. Since
this is all about numbers, please think about how you can keep the
phone ringing in Frist's office. Consider sending a request to your
contact lists, friends, family and ask them to call or fax. Tell
them why this is important to you, to all of us.

If we can demonstrate the power of numbers, Senator Frist and his
aides will respond.
Thank you,

Idelle Datlof
Executive Director