Whew.  Where do you live, David?  Maybe someone on list can refer you to
someone competent enough to treat you appropriately.  There actually are
some decent physicians around who are human beings first, doctors
second...people who are willing to treat the entire patient, not just the
symptoms.  We've been fortunate enough to meet some of them...not all, mind
you, but some.

My fave neuro story is about the dr. who treated my husband (also David) for
20 years w/o a diagnosis.  He tested David with all kinds of stuff...you
name it...and then said that he had no idea what was wrong.  While he was in
the process of  discharging David from the hospital after yet another test
battery, I asked him, "What about the cogwheeling of his right shoulder?"
"What cogwheeling?" he asked.  Hoo boy.  That was the first thing that I'd
told this yahoo...that the first symptom I'd noticed was when David
cogwheeled his shoulder/arm while pouring a glass of milk.  From that point
on, he gave David sinemet...and proceeded to rubber stamp the scrip for the
next 20 years.  The last time we saw him, I asked him what David's problem
was.  His answer?  "Darned if I know.  It's not Parkinson's.  I've been
treating Parkinson's for 25 years, and David doesn't have it."  "Then, why
sinemet?" was my next query.  Answer? "Because it works."   My next question
was about the toxins in the atmosphere in the environment in which David
worked.  "Nah," he replied.  "If it was the toxins, then his brother
(David's partner in the service station business) would also be ill."  What
a jerk.  Even I, a non-medical person, knew that every person reacts
differently given the same environmental stimuli.  David had a particularly
sensitive system, different from his brother's.  David had lots of
allergies, but his brother didn't.  I stood up in that dr.'s office, told
David that we had to leave, and later told him that we'd never go back there
(David had refused to leave this guy all these years, regardless of my
growing frustration.  Too bad.  There was no longer any place for David's
feelings for this "charmer," because we needed some kind of answers.
"Darned if I know," wasn't good enough for me.  David would have gone on for
the rest of his life with this guy just so long as he didn't have to change
to someone new.).

It was about 5 years later that we met the neuro who runs a movement
disorders clinic out of North Shore Hospital in Manhasset, Long Island, NY.
He diagnosed David with PD.

I often wonder why people would go into neurology as a profession.  It's so
difficult, because it's still an unknown science.  If one is into research,
I can understand, but why go into something where, all too often, there are
no cures...much less answers.  Personal opinion here: some of the
personality issues in dealing with these doctors stem from that fact...it's
a way of protecting themselves from people who want/need answers and can't
get them.  Each human being responds differently to confrontation.  Perhaps
these quirky people just don't know how (or don't want to learn how) to
reach out to their patients just when the patients and their families need
some kindness, some reassurance that the doctors are on their sides...not
just sitting on their thrones pronouncing judgments.  Sad.

Ok...I'm off my soapbox now.

Bev