I want to be told I have Parkinson's disease or other incurable diseases in the following way:

"You have a disease that used to be incurable, but fortunately our government took the lead in medical research in the 21st century, so you can soon resume your life."
 or
"You have an incurable disease, but fortunately reason prevailed and our government took the lead in medical research and we now have medicines that effectively treat your condition."

Of course we all know this is impossible and the best we can hear is the uncertainty that everyone with PD is different.  Can we possibly imagine  the certainty that comes with complete paralysis?

Being told is only the first challenge in facing reality and I believe our efforts could be better spent getting that research than in trying to tell doctors how to tell us, as Mary Ann Ryan suggests.  It has been my experience that most people, doctors included, don't appreciate being told what to think or feel.  But good luck.

So, what to do?  First you might want to consider which group you fall into:  The ignorance is bliss bunch,  the know-it-alls, or the know-somethings.  The IIBB has a great deal to be said in its favor.  Knowing nothing you avoid all the stress and tension that comes with trying to learn and control your own destiny.  Maybe you have a CG who thinks for you.  And who is to say you fare any worse than those smart-alecks who correct the doctor's misspellings of their misdiagnoses.  On the other hand, if you fall into one of the last two groups, you might want to focus on what it is you want from a doctor.  You've done the research and have concluded you want to try a certain drug or procedure, but you can't write a prescription, he/she can.  Maybe you don't want certain drugs or procedures, so you can refuse them.

Control what you can or not.

Ray