GOP, Dem Senators Push for Vote on Stem Cell Research
By Monisha Bansal
CNSNews.com Staff Writer
May 17, 2006

(CNSNews.com) - Seventy-two percent of Americans support embryonic stem cell
research, according to the Coalition for the Advancement of Medical
Research, while others call the use of embryos for research "murder." A
bipartisan group of senators is using those numbers to push a Senate vote on
the issue.

"If it's brought up, we will pass it because the votes are there," said Sen.
Tom Harkin (D-Iowa) during a Capitol Hill news conference Tuesday.

Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) added that "the longer we wait, the harder it will
be to keep partisan issues out of this. It is not a Republican or Democrat
issue."

After a year to review the legislation, Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.)
called the Senate's delay "inexplicable." The senators pushed for Senate
Majority Leader Bill Frist (R-Tenn.) to put the Stem Cell Research
Enhancement Act on the legislative calendar before May 24.

Stem cells can be cultivated to form human tissue, which researchers say can
help them treat cancer, Alzheimer's, diabetes, Parkinson's disease, spinal
cord injuries, heart disease and ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease), among other
conditions.

While adult stem cells and stem cells taken from umbilical cord blood can
also be used, Hatch said embryonic stem cells are more flexible and can grow
into virtually any tissue. They have the "greatest promise of any stem cell
research for finding cures," he said.

But because embryonic stem cell research means destroying embryos, President
Bush, backed by pro-life activists, decided in 2001 to restrict federal
funding for research to the 60 stem cell lines that had already been
created.

The bill before the Senate (H.R. 810) passed the House almost a year ago and
would allow unused embryos created for in vitro fertilization to be used for
research instead of being destroyed.

"It is unimaginable that we would discard 20,000 to 70,000 embryos as
medical waste when they could be helping kids," said Hatch, referring to the
possibility of stem cell use in treating juvenile diabetes.

But Jim Sedlak, vice president of the American Life League, said the data
about public support for stem cell research is misleading because most
Americans are still confused over the different types of stem cells. "Most
Americans don't understand that distinction" between embryonic and other
types of stem cells, he said.

"We are very disappointed that there are senators who are pushing this,"
Sedlak continued. "The nature of embryonic stem cells is that the human
being must be killed in order to obtain the stem cells. We don't believe the
government should be supporting the murder of innocent children, even in the
embryonic stage.

"Just because they are going to be discarded doesn't mean they're not human
beings. These are human beings and they're entitled to respect, which means
they shouldn't be killed and they shouldn't have research done on them,"
Sedlak told Cybercast News Service.