Now we can say that a 1-year study shows a treatment both protective and
restorative! (I copied the link and Conclusions below)

Unilateral intraputaminal glial cell line-derived
neurotrophic factor in patients with Parkinson disease:
response to 1 year each of treatment and withdrawal

Neurosurg Focus 20 (5):E1, 2006
Conclusions
The results from 1-year intraputaminal GDNF infusion
in our study are consistent with extensive animal data2,5,7,8,17,20 and the
Bristol Phase I trial results,9,13,15 in which it has been stated that
trophic factor treatment can be both protective protective and restorative.
The recent inconclusive Phase II results12 may be the result of differences
in GDNF dosing and delivery protocols. The two safety issues with
GDNF-development of antibodies to exogenous GDNF and possible toxic injury
to the cerebellum in nonhuman primates-require further study. In this
patient group, however, neither clinical manifestations in response to GDNF
antibodies nor clinical or imaging evidence of cerebellar lesions were
evident. Given the following three considerations:
1) that advanced PD is profoundly debilitating and
life-threatening;
2) that the known safety concerns can be closely monitored and medically
managed; and
3) that the methodology used in the two Phase I trials shows strong
indications of efficacy, we believe that additional Phase II clinical trials
are warranted to continue developing the approach featuring intraputaminal
delivery of trophic factors for treating PD.

http://www.aans.org/education/journa...0-5-1-0976.pdf

Peggy