May 25, 2006

New Zealand is at the cutting edge of what could be a breakthrough in the
treatment of Parkinson's disease.

 Patients here will be the first in the world to take part in clinical trials
of a locally developed drug aimed at treating the disease, not just its
symptoms.
Noel Noonan lives on a cocktail of drugs.
"This is a new one that's meant to help quite a bit," he says.
He has lived with muscle stiffness and slowness from Parkinson's for 12 years.

 "In some ways I want to retain my independence, but I have to chop it back
and accept help from others, which is frustrating and demeaning too."
Eight hundred New Zealanders are newly-diagnosed with Parkinson's each year.
Many like Bill Griffiths suffer from constant tremors.
Current drugs only treat the symptoms and lose their effectiveness over time.
But two Otago University scientists may have cracked the code for halting the
disease's progression.
Professor Robin Smith and Dr Michael Murphy, who are now working at Britain's
Cambridge University, developed a compound called Mito Q eight years ago.
Now it has been approved for stage two human trials.
It is hoped Mito Q will be the first drug to specifically target brain cell
damage caused by oxidants which attack the mitochondria - the nerve cells
energy source.
Lab trials have shown the drug shuts these oxidants down, which potentially
prevents further damage.

 "What we've found is the chemical we've made is a very effective antioxidant
- a very targeted effective antioxidant which we hope if we load into people
with the early stages of Parkinson's, the rate of decay will be much slower,"
Smith says.
One hundred and twenty New Zealand patients with early stage Parkinson's will
be the first trialled.
"I don't want people going away thinking we have a cure but in the last few
years there's been an understanding of what goes on to cause this breakdown
of cells in Parkinson's, and this drug should target that mechanism and if it
does this will be a major transformation," Auckland neurologist Barry Snow
says.
The research has been backed by $23 million of venture capital, as well as
nearly $2 million from the Foundation for Research, Science and Technology.
"We have to contain our expectations but we are quite hopeful," Dr Snow says.
The trial results will be out in 18 months. It is hoped if Mito Q works it has
the potential to help other diseases which attack the brain the same way,
like Alzheimer's, Motor Neurone and Huntingdon's disease.
For more information on Parkinson's disease see www.parkinsons.org.nz.