In the full guidelines article, an initial study of COQ10 was mentioned.see:
http://aan.com/professionals/practice/guidelines/Neuroprotective_PD.pdf
"Coenzyme Q10. One randomized, blinded Class I
study (doses 300/600/1,200 mg/day) followed 80 patients
for 16 months or until disability required levodopa.
11 The primary response variable was change in
total UPDRS score. Subjects treated with CoQ10 had
less disability as shown by a change in UPDRS from
baseline (8 in controls and 6.4 in the 1,200 mg group)
(p  0.09). Although the results did not reach statistical significance, they did meet the prespecified criteria
for a positive trend. The study was designed to
determine safety and tolerability in the dose range of
300 to 1,200 mg/day, and was underpowered to determine
a neuroprotective benefit."

I believe a large phase III trial of CoQ10 is due to start soon.

As for levodopa, they wrote:
"Levodopa may be considered for initial treatment
of PD (9 months) as it does not accelerate disease
progression and is safe (Level B). There is no longterm
evidence to recommend levodopa for neuroprotection.

The strategy of prescribing dopamine agonists first and delaying levodopa use is to try to postpone complications such as dyskinesia which often occur after a number of years on levodopa.

Linda
-- Steve Rack <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>The American Academy of Neurology issued new practice guidelines in
>April 2006. They stated that based on the research, there is no
>evidence yet that any PD treatment has been found to be
>neuroprotective. More research is needed.
>Results and conclusions:
>1. Levodopa does not appear to accelerate disease progression.
>2. No treatment has been shown to be neuroprotective.
>3. There is no evidence that vitamin or food additives can improve
>motor function in PD.
>4. Exercise may be helpful in improving motor function.
>5. Speech therapy may be helpful in improving speech volume.
>6. No manual therapy has been shown to be helpful in the treatment
>of motor symptoms, although studies in this area are
>limited. Further studies using a rigorous scientific method are
>needed to determine efficacy of alternative therapies.>>
>
>http://aan.com/professionals/practice/guidelines/Neuroprotective_PD.pdf

>In a recent meeting, the AAN ( I think) decided that so far there is no known
>neuroprotective medication against PD. ( I cannot find the article)
>maryse

I found the AAN report interesting for a couple reasons:
1. They make no mention of the clinical studies going on right now (I
think:-) of CoQ10 and several other supplements with antioxidant
properties.

2. Although Levadopa does not appear to accelerate the disease they
now recommend delaying its use in favor of agonists etc. Why?

--
Steve R.
Brattleboro, VT