To Bev and Ray,
I don't know whether the self-absorbed behavior of teenagers is a
genetically derived adaptation or the consequence of recent culture, but I
do know they have an especially hard time empathizing with a once  all
powerful parent who has developed a chronic illness.  The easy explanation
is that it is a matter of the survival of the group.  No group of hominids
trying to survive on the brushland of Africa would have survived long if
they expended a great deal of energy trying to keep a disabled parent
hobbling along who could hardly keep up.  On the other hand, maybe a
teenager's entittlement behavior is a result of having too much time on
their hands lately.  Up until the recent past, most teenagers would have
been apprenticed by the time they had reached thirteen.  Only in the last
few hundred years has their evolved this party-time culture among teenagers
where they don't have to work, they are fullly supported, and they don't
know what to do with their lives but feel compellled to have a good time.  I
remember the feeling of wanting to be truly free to explore the world well
into my unapprenticed twenties. So, before our children dump us into nursing
homes because they don't want to be bothered, perhaps we should bring back
the Middle Ages.  But I suppose, it's too late for that. David