As if Don and family have not suffered enough, his wife has pneumonia, Ray
# 168 Monday, June 12 , 2006 -  GLORIA, AND TENNYSON

Gloria is on oxygen again.

"Do you want resuscitation?" the nurse asks, holding out a form to sign.

"For a couple of days," said Gloria, "Not after that."

"What?"

I ask the nurse to repeat herself, while some drunk behind the curtains a
few feet away next door yells on and on. Or perhaps he is insane; I do not
know.

Two hours ago, I was speaking at the last day of Bernie Siegel's symposium,
the second annual gathering of stem cell scientists and supporters.

It was like being yanked from heaven and flung down to hell.

At the conference, everything was cheerful and upbeat; I felt empowered, in
charge, surrounded by those who share belief in the limitless potential of
stem cell research.

Here, I am helpless, ignorant, confronted with the present day limitations
of medicine.

It was a good hospital, staffed by excellent, caring staff, (although too
few, and plainly overworked) doing their best to control the situation for
everyone's benefit.

Roman is here, golden and handsome, making his mom smile as no one else can.

Desiree and Josh are here. Jackson, Jason, Roman Jr.

Saturday, at Bernie's great meeting, I received an award for stem cell
research advocacy. Sunday, I spoke on a panel for grass roots organizing.

Bob Klein received an award as well, which is almost-I don't know-like
giving a trophy to Mount Everest for outstanding mountain.

As always, whenever someone says something nice about him, Bob puts it back
on everybody else, reminding us (and rightly) that our strength is together.
But he can say that as much as he likes, and it changes not a whit the
simple fact that without Bob, Proposition 71 would not have been begun, let
alone be a few months away from providing three billion dollars to stem cell
research.

At my table was Karen Miner, Assemblyman John Dutra who passed the Roman
Reed Act, and his wonderful Bernie, and Roman, and Desiree', and Gloria,
just out of the hospital.

Everything seemed so right with the world.

Bob came around, and said nice things like always, making everyone feel glad
they are a part of the struggle.

I introduced him to John Dutra, and Bob just beamed on him, recognizing his
great contribution warmly. I was so proud.

Gloria looked lovely.

When I spoke I talked about her, and how much the stem cell struggle had
cost her, because every meeting I attend  is time away from her.

I knew, logically, that pneumonia is a serious thing.

But Gloria is so strong. Nothing could touch her. Besides, she had told me
she was going to be all right. I asked her when she was going to come home
from the hospital, and she said soon, she was fine. I felt like a little
kid, who can't understand.

I remember when we were first married, and I was in Louisiana, looking for
commercial diver work in the offshore oil fields, and Gloria of course
wanted me in California.

She heard about a job opening up at Marine World in Redwood City-and she did
the job interview for me, without even telling me.

She showed up at the dive shack, (and she was seven and a half months
pregnant at the time) and started talking. About halfway through the
interview, she started to cry.

"He's a good man, you have to hire him!" she said.

And the head diver got so scared she was going to give birth on the spot, he
said, "Lady, lady, I'll give him the job-just don't have your baby right
here!"

It was Gloria, too, who forced me to go back to college, and finish up my
education, one course at a time-and she would actually register me, and buy
my books-making sure I would do it.

And when Marine World almost folded, and there was a six month hiatus
between the old and the new parks, she said: "Now is when you become a
schoolteacher."

I was not sure, and expressed reservations, and Gloria said:

"Let me put it another way. You become a teacher, or I divorce you."

She says now she was only joking, but I don't believe her.

I loved being a teacher and worked there 17 years.

It was Gloria who told me it was time to retire, so I could work full time
on stem cell research advocacy.

So when I gave my little speech about working on five different stem cell
laws-the Roman Reed Act, three laws by Senator Ortiz to make California the
first stem cell friendly place, and of course our wonderful Proposition 71-
Gloria made it possible.

Before I spoke on the panel, my kids called me and said, Mom needs to go
back to the hospital.

So I drove home from Palo Alto, where the symposium was being held, (it was
wonderful, and I will talk about that another time) and we all went to the
hospital. The doctor was going to come examine her, take more x-rays and
stuff.

Nothing much happened for three hours.

So I figured if I had to wait, I could do that just as well being useful.

I drove back to Palo Alto, did my speaker's work on the panel, and then
drove back to the hospital.

Gloria's lips were purplish-blue. So were her fingers.

There was a test where the nurse puts a clamp on your finger, and a machine
measures the oxygen in your blood. She did it to me and it came out 95,
which is normal. It was 85 on Gloria, but after she took the antibiotics it
went to 93, so that seemed okay, wasn't it?

But it wasn't right. So they poked a hole in her wrist, and measured the
oxygen in her blood directly.

The count was 49.

She wanted to go home anyway. But they said the only way it would be safe
would be with an oxygen tank so she can breathe with a tube in her
nose-continually.

And the oxygen service was not working on Sunday.

So she stayed in the hospital.

It is 7:30 Monday morning as I finish this. I will shower and go to the
hospital.

Gloria will come home in a couple hours, with the oxygen tank.

For the next week at least, she will be hooked up to a portable air tank not
too different from the ones I used to dive with at Marine World.

I do not know what the future holds, of course. Maybe she will bounce back.

But people die of pneumonia.

I have to be with Gloria now, as she always has been with me.

As a stem cell advocate, I will be diminished.

No more long distance drives. And for a while, at least, I will not be at
the CIRM meetings which I love.

I will still work, of course, as long as I have a telephone and a computer.

My son is not walking, and I intend to see that happen.

There are battles which must be won: HR 810 must pass without any crippling
add-ons or decoy legislation; SB 401 must not go forward; the
Brownback/Weldon bills must gain no purchase. If I cannot drive around now,
I can still scribble.

I am not sure about the column. Right now, it seems useful, and there are
more things I want to say, and books I need to write.

I must do less, but I can do something.

I will try to take example from Tennyson's immortal poem of Ulysses, who,
when faced with the onset of age, said:

"My purpose holds.

 "Though much is taken, much abides; and though we are not now that strength
which in old days moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are; one
equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in
will-

"To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."

By Don Reed, www.stemcellbattles.com